Thursday, April 18, 2013

What Makes Jesus Superior to Other Saviors?

An excerpt from Vintage Jesus - 
author, Mark Driscoll & Gerry Breshears

Rather, the question is whether the savior we are trusting in can actually save us.  While a diet may help us lose weight, a spouse may cure our loneliness, and a child may give us joy and improve our quality of life, they work best as gifts from God to be enjoyed and not as functional savior-gods.  David Powlison has formulated some questions to help us uncover our functional saviors, and the following questions are based on them:


             What am I most afraid of?
          What do I long for most passionately?
          Where do I run for comfort?
          What do I complain about most?
          What angers me most?
          What makes me happiest?
          How do I explain myself to other people?
          What has caused me to be angry with God?
          What do I brag about?
          What do I want to have more than anything else?
          Who do I sacrifice the most for in my life?
          If I could change one thing in my life what would that be?
          Whose approval am I seeking?
          What do I want to control/master?
          What comfort do I treasure the most?

In speaking of a savior, we must also speak of the urgent need for our rescue.  If our home were on fire, we would urgently call out for a firefighter to save us.  If our body were failing, we would urgently call out for a doctor to save us.  If our home were broken into, we would call out to a police officer to save us.  If we were drowning, we would cry out to a lifeguard to save us.  Tragically, the sense of urgency that we rightly have in our physical life is lacking in our spiritual life, where the consequences are even direr. For this reason, if you are reading this and are not a Christian, we must in loving concern ask, who and what are you trusting to save you?  Can they truly save you?
(pages 192)

No comments:

Post a Comment